SALINA, Kan. - The Friends University men's tennis team got things rolling at just the right time, picking up their first win of the season as the Falcons started KCAC play at Kansas Wesleyan Thursday afternoon.
MEN'S FINAL: FRIENDS 6, KANSAS WESLEYAN 3
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Friends (1-3, 1-0 KCAC) got off to a great start with wins in ranked matches at the top of the matchup. Pascal Wawrzinek (JR/Dusseldorf, Germany), ranked #14 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Central Rankings, won 6-2, 6-1 over the Coyote's (3-3, 0-1 KCAC) top player, ranked #13 in the region.
- Ferdinand Ostrowicki (JR/Stuttgart, Germany), ranked #12, followed suit with a 6-2, 6-2 win in the #2 singles.
- Sebastian Smithback (JR/Garmisch-Partenkirchen, German) fought hard but fell 1-6, 5-7 in the #3 singles against the #18 player in the region.
- The Falcons notched two more singles victories, Stefan Nikolic (JR/Belgrade, Serbia) winning 6-3, 6-4 at #4 and Sam Camp taking down the #6 singles match 6-2, 2-6, 10-4. Isaac Penner (FR/Newton, Kan.) fell 5-7, 7-5, 10-4 in #5 singles.
- Friends needed just one win in the doubles competition and got it at #1 with Wawrzinek and Ostrowicki (the #6 doubles team in the Central Region) winning 8-2. The Coyote's #1 doubles team is ranked #10 in the region.
- Nikolic and Camp wrapped up the wins with an 8-5 victory in the #3 doubles while Smithback and Penner fell 8-3 in #2 doubles.
WOMEN'S FINAL: KANSAS WESLEYAN 9, FRIENDS 0
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Falcons struggled at the top of the singles with Meredith Haney (JR/Abilene, Tex.), Michaela Tubbs-Blakely and Alexis Johnson (JR/Wichita, Kan.) all falling 0-6, 0-6.
- Courtney Temen (FR/Oak Park, Ill.) scored a couple of points at #4, but fell 0-6, 2-6. Taylor Killman (JR/Yukon, Okla.) (4-6, 2-6) and Victoria Nissley (JR/Canton, Ohio) (4-6, 1-6) fought hard at #5 and #6, respectively, but Friends was down 0-6 after singles play.Both Killlman and Nissley led for parts of the first set.
- Friends (0-3, 0-1 KCAC) only mustered a couple of points in doubles play, with Nissley/Tubbs-Blakely going down 1-8, Johnson/Haney 0-8, and Killman/Temen 2-8 to the Coyotes (3-4, 1-0 KCAC).
The Falcons will continue the KCAC portion of their schedule when they host Southwestern on Saturday, April 2nd at the Riverside Tennis Complex in Wichita. Matches are scheduled to begin at 2:00pm.